Matrox’s patent pending closed captioning workflow support has been expanded. Users no longer need to spend time and money recreating HD captioning data that is typically lost when editing projects in Final Cut Pro. Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack offer a unique workflow to capture, playback, and preserve closed captioning data while editing. Nothing is destroyed even when trimming or color correcting video clips. In addition, Matrox has worked with CPC, the closed captioning software leader, to develop an innovative solution that allows the MacCaption software to encode, decode, edit, and create HD and SD closed captioning for use with Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack. In release 1.4 Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack offer a cost effective way to monitor HD timelines containing closed captioning data on SDI and component SD monitors, while also inserting closed captioning information into line 21 of active video for SD deliverables. HD and SD masters containing closed captions can be delivered simultaneously.
“We strive to continually add value to our Matrox MXO2 product line by providing customers with the features they need to support today’s most popular workflows,” said Wayne Andrews, product manager at Matrox. “We are especially proud of the work we have done to make HD closed captioning more affordable and easier to do for Final Cut Pro and MacCaption users.”
Key features of Matrox MXO2 and Matrox MXO2 Rack
• Works with Intel-based MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, and Apple Xserve systems
• HD/SD SDI, HD/SD analog component, Y/C, and composite inputs and outputs
• Genlock – SD analog black burst (bi-level) or HD tri-level sync
• HDMI input, output, and monitoring with calibration controls including blue-only
• 10-bit realtime hardware up/down/cross conversion on capture and output
• Up to five user selectable simultaneous video outputs – HD and/or SD on HDMI, SDI, and analog
• Professional audio inputs and outputs with surround sound monitoring
• RS-422 machine control for frame-accurate capture and print-to-tape
• Captures to a variety of codecs – Apple ProRes 422 HQ, 10-bit uncompressed HD, and many more
• File-based workflow support – XDCAM, XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, P2, P2HD
• RED workflow support
• HD-SDI closed captioning support
• Works with Final Cut Pro, Apple Color, Adobe After Effects and all QuickTime applications that support the V-out component
• Also available with Matrox MAX™ technology for faster than realtime H.264 HD encoding
Price and availability
The Matrox MXO2 product line is available through a worldwide network of authorized dealers. Matrox MXO2 is priced at $1,595 US (₤1,095, €1,349) and Matrox MXO2 Rack is priced at $1,995 US (₤1,495, €1,695), not including local taxes. Release 1.4 software is available to registered users as a free download from the Matrox website.
Units with the Matrox MAX option for faster than realtime H.264 HD encoding will be available in summer 2009. Matrox MXO2 with the MAX option is priced at $1,995 US (₤1,495, €1,695). Matrox MXO2 Rack with the MAX option is priced at $2,395 US (₤1,749, €1,995) not including local taxes.
Matrox Video Products Group is a technology and market leader in the field of HD and SD digital video hardware and software for realtime editing, audio/video input/output, DVD/Blu-ray authoring, capture/playout servers, clip/still stores, and CGs. Matrox's Emmy award-winning technology powers a full range of content creation and delivery platforms used by broadcasters, post-production facilities, project studios, corporate communicators, and videographers worldwide. Founded in 1976, Matrox is a privately held company headquartered in Montreal, Canada. For more information visit www.matrox.com/video.