Flat panel displays are a key driver of electronics industry sales growth as evidenced in figures released by the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) in its revised U.S. Consumer Electronics Sales and Forecast Report.
The CEA finds that business and consumer buyers will benefit from a decline in wholesale prices of flat panel displays resulting from cost efficiencies and competitive pressure. According to the report:
- The average LCD unit price will decrease from $857 in 2004 to $754 this year.
- The average plasma unit price is projected to decrease from $2698 to $1953.
- Plasma and LCD unit shipments will nearly double this year compared to last year.
- LCD unit sales are projected to reach 3.9 million valued at $3 billion compared to 1.8 million units and $1.6 billion in 2004.
- Plasma unit shipments are projected to reach 2 million and $3.9 billion, increasing from 870,000 units and $2.3 billion in 2004.
For more information, visit www.ce.org.