Flat panel display (FPD) market research and consulting firm DisplaySearch released its Quarterly Small/Medium LCD Shipment Report and Quarterly Small/Medium LCD Pricing Report. The company added a new category of displays and amusement applications, and a differentiated a-Si TFT LCDs from LTPS TFT LCDs.
- Mobile phone main displays grew 10 percent Q/Q vs. a forecast of 1 percent in Q2'04 to a record 58 million units/month. Its up 10 percent Q/Q and 37 percent Y/Y. The leading suppliers were Samsung SDI at 21.3 percent, Philips at 15.5 percent and Epson at 13.1 percent. Mobile phone displays are expected to increase 5 percent Q/Q in Q3'04 to 60.6 million/month.
- PDA module shipments grew 10 percent faster than expected, increasing 13.1 percent Q/Q while rising 26 percent Y/Y to 1.4 million units per month. PDA displays are expected to decrease 3 percent Q/Q in Q3'04 to 1.3 million/month.
- Automobile monitor module shipments grew 9 percent faster than forecast in Q2'04, rising 13.7 percent Q/Q and 37 percent Y/Y to 928,000 panels per month. The leading suppliers were TMDisplay at 43.1 percent, Sharp at 34.5 percent and AUO at 10.3 percent. Automotive monitors are expected to increase 1 percent Q/Q in Q3'04 to 935,000/month.
- Digital still camera module shipments grew 11 percent faster than forecast in Q2'04, rising 13.1 percent Q/Q and 26 percent Y/Y to 6.6 million panels/month. Digital still camera modules are expected to increase 10 percent Q/Q in Q3'04 to 7.3 million/month.
- Digital video camera module shipments grew 13 percent faster than forecast in Q2'04, rising 12.8 percent Q/Q and 2 percent Y/Y to 1.5 million panels per month. Digital video camera modules are expected to decrease 10 percent Q/Q in Q3'04 to 1.3 million/month.
- Amusement module shipments rose 31.9 percent Q/Q to 2.7 million panels per month. Games dominate the category with a 64 percent share, which also includes pachinko machines at 12.6 percent and DVD players at 24.3 percent. The leading suppliers were Sharp at 71.3 percent, and TMDisplay at 13 percent. Amusement modules are expected to increase 10 percent Q/Q in Q3'04 to 2.9 million/month.
For more information, visit www.displaysearch.com/products/smallandmediumshipments.html and www.displaysearch.com/products/smallandmediumpricing.html.