Empress leverages XenData Archive Servers to deliver an integrated Digital Asset Management and LTO archive solution for the media and entertainment industry
Walnut Creek, Calif. – October 23, 2012 – XenData, the leading provider of LTO archive solutions, today announces its partnership with Empress Media Asset Management, LLC to bring a more affordable, integrated digital asset management and LTO archive solution to the media and entertainment industry.
Traditionally, media asset management systems have run on one or more servers and have communicated with an LTO archive server via a network. Empress and XenData are now able to provide a powerful integrated MAM and LTO archive system running on a single server. This approach not only reduces costs, but also minimizes network traffic. The solution consists of a XenData SX-500 series rack mount server with 12 processor cores and 32 GB of RAM. This runs Windows Server 2008, XenData6 Server and Empress eMAM™ software to provide a functionally rich solution.
eMAM software benefits include:
• Extensive Support Tags: Users can import metadata from the source video and also add additional metadata as customized tags.
• Easy Previews: Thumbnails as well as low-res proxies are automatically created for all content. This enables the user to preview content even if the high-res files are offline. Low-res proxies may be stored in the cloud and previewed without impacting the local server performance.
• Enhanced User Rights Management: eMAM adds sophisticated control of user rights management this allows for different content categories to be created and access defined for specific user groups and individual users.
The XenData6 Server software provides comprehensive management of one or more attached LTO tape libraries. Benefits include:
• LTO Cartridge Replication: One or more replica tape cartridges can be created automatically. When full, the replica cartridges may be exported from the library and retained at an offsite location for enhanced data protection.
• Choice of Leading Formats: LTO tape cartridge pools may be written in either LTFS or TAR, the two leading exchange standards for writing files to LTO.
• Ability to use MAM or File System Interface: In addition to accessing the LTO video repository using eMAM, a standard file system interface may also be used. This means that the system may be used simultaneously by multiple applications.
“I’m excited to be working with XenData, since our combined solution will enable us to provide a cost effective, turn-key option for entry-level and mid-range customers, which up to this point, has been cost prohibitive,” said Shaun McTernan, Vice President of Sales and Business Development at Empress Media Asset Management. “We’re turning the game around by productizing a MAM system, which gets the ball rolling for customers in an affordable and efficient way.”
“As computers get increasingly powerful, more functionality is being put on a single server, underlying the growing trend towards virtualization,” said Phil Storey, CEO and co-founder of XenData. “With our partnership, Empress and XenData are demonstrating just that by utilizing a single server to create a high performance solution for our customers.”
A turnkey solution that includes the server and a 125 TB near-line robotic LTO tape library costs about $65,000. The system will scale to manage tape libraries with near-line capacities over 1 petabyte.
The combined solution will be demonstrated on a XenData SX 502 Archive Server at Content & Communications World, November 14-15, in New York at the Javits Center, Empress booth #1340.
Empress Media Asset Management, LLC., a private company, is a leading provider of digital asset management and workflow management systems for media & entertainment and corporate clients. It is part of the Empress family of companies, which includes Empress Cybernetics Systems PVT LTD, specializing in customized software and database development and Empress Media Inc, one of the largest distributors of blank recording media and supplies.
XenData is a leading provider of digital video archiving solutions tailored specifically to serve the media and entertainment industry – with customers ranging from post production organizations to local TV stations to major global broadcasters and major service providers. XenData’s solutions range from cost-effective LTO workstation archives to multiple petabyte server systems. They are built on industry standards and provide the high-performance and functionality required to meet today and tomorrow’s demanding digital video applications.
TV stations, global broadcasters, media service providers, video production and post-production organizations using XenData’s solutions are able to benefit from significant cost-savings, ease of integration with other standards-based systems, as well as long-term assured access to their video assets. With digital video archive servers installed in over 50 countries worldwide, XenData is trusted by some of the largest broadcasters and media companies. For more information visit: www.xendata.com.
For more information:
VP, Sales & Business Development, Empress Media
T: (212) 643-4898
Jaime Tero/Angie Fife
onechocolate communications for XenData